Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. I’ve never been a big fan of this day, not that I don’t LOVE chocolate – ’cause IT – IS – A – FOOD – GROUP!! 😉 but because it seems like it’s the only day that guys take advantage of showering us gals with gifts. I’m not talking about my hubby, he’s getting better – or I’m getting more forceful, not sure which it is… But it is a pattern I have seen in my past and in others in their present. I also am not fond of being told what to do but that’s a whole other post…
I’m not saying abolish the day ’cause my kids have fun with it at school and at church. This year I just want to think outside the box. I’ve been thinking of a bunch of gifts that would be 100x’s better than a card, roses or chocolates — even diamonds! This clip (CLICK HERE) I saw the other day says that billions of dollars are spent on this day every year. Multiple of billions of US dollars – that doesn’t include that which is spent in Canada or in other countries. WOW. Anyways… I digress.
Here’s something to think about getting your loved ones this year:
* Donate blood.
* Sign a organ and tissue donor card (and tell your loved ones you’ve done it)
* Get a full physical check-up. The entire shabang!
* Start a program to get into shape; skinny doesn’t mean healthy!
* Update your will (or get one if you don’t have one!)
* Volunteer at a soup kitchen or food bank.
* Take your extra clothes and blankets to your local shelter (outside of Thanksgiving and Christmas they usually don’t see too much).
Start a new tradition ~ do something that is a matter of the heart!
Do you have any other ideas?